Salomon Serpent Trail - 100k Info
The Salomon Serpent Trail 100k Trail Ultra starts at 6am on Saturday 11th July 2020.
See our Frequently Asked Questions if you have any queries!
- Coach transport will leave the race venue / finish at Petersfield Rugby Club at 5.20am. It is your responsibility to be on the bus as it will be leaving promptly to take you to the race start.
- Registration is where you will receive your race number, drop bags, event T-Shirt and Serpent Trail guide booklet with useful phone numbers. This is at the venue and is open from 5pm - 10pm on Friday and 4.30 am - 5 am on race day.
- Race Briefing will be at 5am, after close of registration.
- 1 drop bag is available during the 100k race, at the halfway point. You will be given your drop bag at registration - when you have packed it please put them in the correct pile to go to the checkpoint (outside the venue from 5am on raceday). They will be brought back to the finish when the crew are able, for you to collect after the race - we cannot hold them for you or take them to post back to you should you forget!! They are essentially tough bin bags, as a guide for size of bag to expect.
- Kit List for this race has been planned to help create a fast race through a relatively straightforward landscape in summertime. Familiarise yourself with the mandatory kit - and make sure you have it! KIT LIST HERE. See our links to the Salomon Trail Running range.
- Use of Poles is fine and allowed in this race. Be aware of other users and considerate / courteous with your poles.
- Music is allowed but take headphones out / turn it off when at or on roads and be aware of other users on the Trail and other runners.
- Drop Outs from the race can only do so AT CHECKPOINTS unless there is a medical reason or emergency. We will transport any drop outs back to the finish line, but there may be a small wait.
- Course Records - M; Ollie Stoten 9:41:40, 2017 - F: Catherine Stoneman 13:02:23, 2019
- Pacers are allowed to run alongside you from the town of Petworth. This is roughly halfway in the race and has good parking and transport links to pick the car up later. The Serpent Trail passes alongside the main council car park (pay and display) in the town so this is the ideal spot to join.
You can only have one pacer with you at a time but can have as many swapping over to run with you as you wish. Pacers are not allowed to carry your kit or race pack and will need to be self sufficient, apart from being able to take water from the Midhurst CP. This is halfway through the allowed 30 mile/50k pacing distance.
- Support Crew are allowed to follow you and supply you with food and drink in addition to race checkpoint supplies. We ask that they do not come to the checkpoint locations but meet you elsewhere.
- Cut Off for the 100k is midnight Saturday night. This gives 18 hours to complete. There are 3 checkpoints with cut off times that you need to LEAVE by. They are;
11 hours for 38 miles at the Fittleworth CP
14.5 hours for 51 miles at Midhurst CP
16 hours for 56 miles at Dumpford.
We will enforce the cut off times and those not continuing will be transported back to Petersfield.
- The Venue has camping available on the Friday and Saturday nights, plenty of parking and changing and shower facilities open all weekend. Consider camping after and/or before the race to make a weekend of it but especially after, to be rested before driving away from Petersfield afterwards.
- Arrival & Departure The venue opens at 5 pm on Friday evening and closes for the event at midday on Sunday.
- Checkpoints will have water, squash, coke and a good mixture of sweet and savoury snacks such as sandwiches, cheese, crisps, pretzels, cake, chocolate, sweets, bananas, watermelon/oranges, nuts etc.
The 100k is CUPLESS - read HERE for detail plus link to example of a perfect lightweight, folding cup to bring with you for the race.
These are the Checkpoint locations, please make sure any support crews do not meet you at checkpoints but elsewhere along the route. To help you plan your drop bag and food and drink etc the distance between CP's can be viewed HERE
- 1 - Linchmere Common
- 2 - Hill Brow
- 3 - Henley
- 4 - Petworth (Sylvia Beaufoy Centre)
- 5 - Fittleworth (Tripp Hill Farm)
- 6 - Grafham
- 7 - Midhurst
- 8 - Trotton
- 9 - Durford Mill (water only)
- Route Map for the 100k race is HERE and downloadable GPX FILE HERE ---- (We recommend having a gps device as backup whilst you are running - many running watches allow you to upload the route onto them, or viewranger is a great free app to enable your smartphone to be used as a gps)
- Route Markings - The whole of the 100k distance is signed with our extra race signage, in addition to the permanent Trail markings as shown below. The Serpent Trail is a permanent way-marked Trail with regular signage. Below is an example of one of the markers. The head of the snake and arrow shape of the triangle point in the direction of the trail.
Also see our page of Frequently Asked Questions.